Friday 9 May 2008

A Terrible Day of Bad Luck with Transantiago

I had a class in Lo Barnechea with the kids. It takes an hour and a half to get there, a metro and two buses. I finished my lesson late with them but assumed I had plenty of time to get to Huechuraba (close but you have to go all the way BACK to Escuela Militar to get there which undoes some of the journey that I already did.). However I was wrong. I had to wait over half an hour for the 426 and when it came it was packed with people and I had to stand with a woman giving me death stares because I kept bumping into her handbag.

Eventually after heavy traffic and very bad bus driving I arrived in Escuela Militar. The bus driver had dropped me off earlier than my usual stop so I had to run to the next bus stop. By this time it was over an hour later and I had ten minutes to get to my next class.

I got to Francisco's lesson half an hour late and when I arrived he wasn't there. He had gone back to his office. So I decided to go home. Luckily just as I was nearing the busstop and contemplating another hour and a half journey, Francisco phoned me and we went ahead with the lesson.

Unfortunatly Francisco could not drop me off at Vitacura so I had to spend 4,000 pesos of my hard-earned money on a taxi as it's a dodgy area to be waiting for the bus in. I got on a bus to Vitacura and went to the dinner that Franzi (another of Aranka's German friends) had invited me to at a Chilean friend's house. When I got there it was worth it and I forgot about my bad day because I was in good company. They are a really great bunch of people.

I'm getting better a listening to a group of people talking Spanish now too although there is always a two second delay like the difference between sky and terrestrial when what they are saying sinks in.

No comments: