Friday 18 April 2008

Santiago Zoo and Pablo Neruda's House

I went to the zoo armed with my camera this time. There were all sorts of animals that I never even knew existed or that I had never seen in real life so it was quite exciting. Unfortunately there were lots of little kids running around and not looking where they were going and hence running in to me so it was a bit of an obstacle course. This time the hippo and polar bear were inside their respective houses but I am determined to get a photo next time. You don't imagine that hippos are so big. They're as big as elephants without the long legs, really!

I wondered down from the zoo to Bellavista neighbourhood and decided to try my luck with a tour of Pablo Neruda's house (I'd tried several times before but would have had to wait for an hour just to go round. They don't allow you to go round on your own.). I was in luck. There was a tour in English leaving just as I got there. Our guide was really good, even if he did have his flies undone (I didn't have the heart to tell him), and he knew lots of extra information and all the answers to the annoying German lady's questions which was good. She was a real fanatic of Pablo Neruda too so he really did his homework.

The house was pretty and had lots of unusual collections but I preferred his house in Valparaiso. Apparently though, his third house on Isla Negra is the best. Maybe I'll go if I'm passing.

I got a call from Jesus (one of the people who works in the Casa Roja-my old hostel) to say that he was going climbing tomorrow and I decided to go along as I've never done it before and I used to quite like climbing when I was little.

I went for a slice of Pie de Limon on the way back and a cup of orange tea which had a handle which would only allow you to hold it like the queen with one of your fingers sticking up. I don't think anyone thought it was funny except for me. I expect that's how they thing English people drink tea anyway.

I am now armed with Pan de Miel (honey bread) and suncream for tomorrow and although it is a Friday, will be getting an early night.

No comments: