Saturday 8 March 2008

Rafting on the Trancura-Grade V!

I got up to go rafting at 10.30 but there was only me and Rachel (an american girl staying in my dorm)-not enough for a raft. I also got up an hour too early because my alarm clock was still on Argentinian time which explains why the supermarket was closed! I went back to the hostel and luckily three guys who had just arrived had booked rafting with the hostel so we had enough people so go in the afternoon.
Our guide was called Jaime and he was a lot of fun. He told us that the most important thing was just to 'go hard' which I assumed meant paddle a lot. The river was much bigger than the one near Bariloche and there was much more white water. Some of the rapids were really scary and one was grade V. There was a grade VI one but it is illegal to take non professionals on there so we had to get out of the raft and walk around. We got to jump off a really high cliff into the water to join the boat again which was pretty scary but exhilarating.
When we finished the river our drive who was German the hostel owner gave us pisco sours and crisps. The guide invited us all out for drinks later on.

No comments: