Monday 4 February 2008

Ancud

I arrived by ferry last night after an afternoon of sunning myself on the beach in Frutillar (with a view of volcán Osorno-beautiful) and drinkng fresh raspberry juice. The crossing was amazing. There were loads of sea lions popping their heads up out of the water to see what all the commotion was about. I definitely prefer them in the water than out. The sun was setting and you could see all the mountains with snow on them from the boat. I got to my hospedaje and was greeted by a very monosyllabic man who showed me to my PRIVATE! room. I was expecting a dorm but apparently there are only double rooms and twin rooms so I was lucky and for only six pounds a night. In the morning I woke up to discover that the hot water hadn't been put on so I had a cold shower and the host was nowhere to be seen so no breakfast either. He reassures me though that he will put the hot water on and give me breakfast at eight tomorrow-fingers crossed!
I went to see more penguins in the morning and saw lots of otters, eighteen species of comorants and a sea lion who wasn't very well because she'd been cut by a fishing net. The guide was very funny and only spoke castellano which was good for me. He had names for all the otters although I'm sure he was just doing that for the little kids who were on the trip.
I went to a fort in the afternoon which was one of the last places to be handed back by the spaniards and then to a little beach for a bit of sun. I missed the museum as it was closing when I arrived. I'm going in persuit of food now. Nectarines, biscuits and cheese toasties are not a balanced diet!

1 comment:

Divinity said...

Hallo, Zoe!
Sounds like a wonderful start to your South American experience... I'll add this to the blogroll on my page.
Take care!