Saturday 23 February 2008

Castro-day 2-Isla Mechuque and the Cascadas







Today I went on my second all castillian speaking trip. It was a bigger bus this time and a different guide who I couldn't understand and the people on the tour bus seemed to follow suit and talk really unclearly. So frustrating. When I asked them to repeat themselves they just said the same thing at the same speed just as unclearly.

First we went to Dachuhue (I´m sorry, I didn't bring my guidebook with me so don't know how to spell the name but it was good anyway and went to yet another artesania market and we got kicked out of the museum because they were cleaning it-fine, I'll just remain ignorant then!

We went to the island of Mechuque which is really untouched and has some of the origionaly houses of Chiloé. There I watched how curanto was made. First they make a fire and then pour loads of shellfish on top, then put on some huge leaves that they use especially for it which I need to look up again too then meat, then more leaves, then some doughy potatoey stuff and finally another layer of leaves and then a big plasticy rubbery sheet. After half an hour it was ready and we all got huge plates of mean and shellfish. For those of you who eat shellfish in Europe the mussles are about four times the size and twice as juicy.

We took a stroll up the hill after lunch to see the view. You can see the andes (I think) and a few volcanoes all snow-capped and bright in the sun. Amazing.

After that it was back in the little bus for another hour of bone-shaking and finally we reached the waterfall. I was geared up to go in but it was so uneven and rocky that I decided against it. Only one guy went in and he was very quickly out soon afterwards.

I think I'll stay another couple of nights here as I haven't found out about my boat yet. I may just end up going to Puerto Montt and the other lakes as I'm running out of time.

No comments: