Thursday 7 February 2008

Cerro San Cristobal and Pablo Neruda's House


I went for a drive with Cecilia up to the foothills of the Andes and I think I got a bit of altitude sickness which Rocio thought was funny and there were lovely views and lots of houses belonging to millionaires. After lunch we went to an area called Patronato which is an area with really cheap clothes shops and is apparently the place to go to see what's going to be in next season.

I went up Cerro San Cristobal in the evening, with Rocio and her friend Juan Carlos, which is a huge hill in the middle of Santiago and with excellent views and TV broadcasting aerials which aren't so nice to look at. We just managed to catch the last Furnicular back down to Barrio Bellavista which is a really beautiful neighbourhood with lots of bars and restaurants. We saw one of Pablo Neruda's houses (for those of you who don't know-he's a famous Chilean poet.). I went to a blues bar where they sang the blues in Spanish-very funny for me-and had some Chilean white wine which is better than what we buy in the supermarket in England and goes down very easily. I had Empanaditas again with Guacamole-I'm obssessed with them!

Tomorrow I head down to Tierra del Fuego by plane (four hours) and the cold (I think it's about the same temperature, if not a bit colder, as England.). I plan to go to the Argentinian part as well and the national park and do a bit of treking and staying in hostels and rough it a bit. I won't take my hair straightners...

3 comments:

Tom said...

Sounds awesome - you should post a picture of these fantastic empanaditas so we can all appreciate there splendour. nice pics sis x

Unknown said...

Lovely pics, says DAD. And please add dad to your friends!

Divinity said...

Furnicular... I took one of those in Montserrat. Called it a "funny car" for days. Love the pictures!