Sunday 24 February 2008

A rather strange day

I thought I'd relax today and take it easy. I said goodbye to the lovely French-Canadian family who were staying in my hostel and who I kept bumping into all over Chiloé. I bought a bus ticket for Loncoche where I will start my adventures around the lakes again and maybe wander in to Argentina.

I took a colectivo (a taxi that you share) up to the Parque Municipal which is on the top of the hill and shared it with a rather friendly baby who kept falling on top of me from his mother's arms. I visited the museum of modern art which is in the middle of nowhere and used to be a dairy according to the lady who worked there. I took in the sun and the views of the cordillera-again. I really am getting spoilt. Then I headed back into town and on my way back nearly got groped by a country bumpkin who lunged at me but I ran away. The local bus picked me up along the road-you seem to be able to just hail them like taxis-and I made it safely back to the centre.

I went to the tourist office to ask for info on beaches after lunch and they told me to take a bus to Nerca (I think that's the name) and when I got there, there was no beach to speak of just a bit of stones and mud and the sea didn't look inviting at all so I just walked back and again hailed a bus along the way.

I am heading back to the continent tomorrow to Loncoche where I will start my adventures of the lakes again and hopefully head across the boarder into Argentina for a tiny bit. Just to spot the cultural differences if nothing else.

No comments: