Sunday 17 February 2008

Ushuaia-End of the World

I got a twelve hour bus to Ushuaia (in Argentina) from Punta Arenas and unfortunately none of them run in the night so it's a day of bus and bone-shaking because half of the road for the journey isn't paved. My cerebro was pretty bruised by the end of it but one good thing came of it-I met a really nice Portuguese girl on the bus in the queue at borders (you have to queue to leave Chile and get a couple of stamps and then to enter Argentina about five minutes up the road to get more stamps and you aren't allowed to take any fruit or dairy products.).
I ate dinner with the Portuguese girl and we decided to take a few trips together.
We went for a hike in the National Park from ten til five in the afternoon which exhausted me but was really lovely and I say a falcon and lots of different birds and lots of rabbits.
The next day was mainly booking tickets for buses but after lunch we went on a boat trip to see the lobos del mar (sea lions) who are really fat and smell. The boat ride was really fun although I was the only one who sat outside on deck and consequently got drenched by an oncoming wave but luckily was dressed up in my waterproof gear-thanks mum for talking my into getting those trousers!
We went to the San Martial glaciar on our third day and took a chair lift to the base (although the glaciar wasn't really there because it's summer) and we hiked and climbed as far as we could go to see the beautiful vista.
I got a bit addicted to ice-cream there as they have this wonderful flavour called calafate which is made from a berry from calafate in Argentina and the food was really good and cheap-it seems Argentina is in general a lot cheaper than Chile but they have special tourist prices (ie more than the locals pay.). Ines (my Portuguese travel companion) taught me some yoga too and now I can't stop stretching.

No comments: